Unable to see chat/NVMP elements in game (Fix)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Breezy, Jul 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Breezy

Breezy Well-Liked User

NCR
    Ratings:
    +111 / -0
    When I first joined NVMP over a year ago I had this problem where the in game chat was not visible as well as the locations and player tags. At the time no one had found a solution to this problem so after quite some time of tweaking settings in the New Vegas directory, I found the solution to my problem and feel since I know how to fix it, I should make a post about it.

I cannot guarantee that this will work for you, but it has worked for every person I have given this information to.

1. Locate your Fallout New Vegas Directory

Inside the directory you should be able to find all of the normal Fallout New Vegas .exe files and launchers as well as the NVMP ones.

2. Run every launcher and .exe file as Administrator

These are the files I ran as Administrator - FalloutNV.exe, Client.exe, nvmp.exe, NVMP-Installer.exe, and the FalloutNVLauncher.exe

If you don't know how to run a file as Administrator, simply select that file, right click and choose "compatibility". Then there will be a check box that says "Run this program as Administrator"

3. Run FalloutNVLauncher.exe and NVMP-Installer.exe in Compatibility mode for Windows 8

To do this simply go and select the above stated files, right click and choose "Compatibility", then there will be the option to run the file in Compatibility mode.

4. Do not run the FalloutNV.exe in any Compatibility mode, leave it unchecked.

Once you have completed the above steps and relog into NVMP your chat should be visible. I hope this has helped and if you have any questions or concerns feel free to reply and I will try my best to help you.

What I believe could be causing the problem -
    I believe that whenever you install the NVMP files into your directory, something in the normal New Vegas files overwrite some sort of coding or file that enables the chat in game, which blocks the chat out to where it doesn't appear. Therefore whenever the NVMP files are ran as Administrator and in Compatibility mode while the FalloutNV file is not ran in Compatibility mode, what was overwriting the file allows the chat to be seen. Keep in mind I am not a Dev and don't have a lot of experience with coding, so this is only a theory of what may be causing the problem.

• Useful Useful x 2