NVMP Cells and how they work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Cazador, Oct 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, happy new year! We released our first patch notes of this year, check them out!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. The Cazador

The Cazador

Forum Dweller Player
    Australia
    NVMP Cells
    And how they work

[​IMG]

One of the biggest challenges with bringing a uniquely single player game like New Vegas into an online multiplayer environment is determining how to handle the changes players make to the game world when interacting with it. Whether that interaction is simply the end result of a quest, the killing of an NPC or simply picking up an object, the dev team needed to find a smart way to handle those interactions.

Most of you should have enough gaming experience to understand how games handle large areas. They only generate the local area around the player and as that player progresses, portions of the map they came from lose lots of fine detail and even whole NPC characters as new areas are generated.

These invisible boundaries split the game world up into cells and it’s these cells that become a core mechanic of NVMP.​

In NVMP, when a player enters a cell that doesn’t contain any other players, they become the host of that cell. They impose their iteration of that piece of the Mojave onto that cell. The result of their previous interactions with that cell, including and all NPCs and objects, will be imposed upon it. If they’ve killed someone they will be dead, if they’ve favored a certain NPC in a multi-choice quest, they will fulfill that role. This is only temporary and is called an instance state.

This instance is observable to any and all players who enter that cell while the host is within it. If the host exits the cell while other players are within it, one of those players is selected to be the new host, but instead of imposing their own instance onto the cell, they continue to host the original players. A new host instantly and abruptly imposing their own instance as soon as the original host exits the cell could cause some serious issues, so this is not a possibility. Only when a cell is truly abandoned by players can a new instance be imposed upon it.

It begins to become a little complicated when we start to think about each individual player’s progress through the game and how it affects the cell environment and the cell’s hosts own future instances. There are still some questions regarding cells and we are sure to learn their answers in the coming months.

Lets imagine a scenario to explore one...​

Player 1 enters a cell and becomes its host. Player 2 enters soon after. If Player 2 kills an NPC, they will remain dead in future instances when Player 1 hosts that cell, as Player 1’s instance can be likened to his own personal game. However, it is currently unknown if Player 2 killing an NPC makes that NPC dead in Player 2’s own instance, as Player 2 is technically only manipulating Player 1’s instance.

The way cells work in NVMP and their central role in allowing us, as players, to interact with our environment is simple enough to understand once you have grasped the concept. A solid comprehension will assist in identifying and reporting bugs during beta testing and beyond into the public release.

I hope this has assisted you in learning a little more about how NVMP works.​

• Like Like x 2
  2. elemenope

elemenope User

The Khans
    if player 2 can permanently affect the world of player 1, by let's say killing a merchant or a character essential for a quest, that would invite some serious griefing.
    you could essentially roam around in a large group looking for cells hosted by other people and then kill every npc in sight to fuck over everybody else

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nazo

Nazo User

Dominican Republic
    Well, in that case, we could make the essential NPCs for quests and such well.... essential (they only fall unconscious)... or make them respawn after some time i guess?

4. elemenope

elemenope User

The Khans
    maybe make them respawn when you reload the cell, or after a day or so
    just off the top of my head it seems like there are alot of characters that are involved in a quest in one way or another and i wouldn't want half of the npcs invincible

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Nak

The Nak

Patreon Supporter Forum Dweller Player
    United States
    I thought that if you were entering a cell, it would only put you in a cell with people who made your choices?

Life is player A enters Cell 1, and he is hosting it, and in his Cell 1 he killed everyone in the BoS Bunker, then Player 2 enters Cell 1 and he hasn't he gets a new cell? Player 3 who had done the same would enter with Player 1? I see how this could be demanding with so many cells and such, so it makes more sense that this isn't how things work. But I do agree with elemenope, it would be a pain in my ass if I wanted to work with the Powder Gangers but could literally never do that because everyone has emptied out their instance of Powder Gangers, or they empty mine.

6. The Cazador

The Cazador

Forum Dweller Player
    Australia
    This is exactly what I had in mind to solve this problem. A daily/hourly dead NPC reset timer.

This is not official from the dev team and Jak hasn't approved it (yet) but this is everything we know so far with a little logic filling in the gaps. I've not been aware of any kind of alternate instance states existing on top of one another which dictate what players experience what alternate instance state depending on their previous interactions with that cell. I guess that would be possible, but man it sounds complicated figuring out how to implement it.

7. The Nak

The Nak

United States
    Exactly what I think every time I want to offer input on how something should be done with NVMP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ollyoxen

Ollyoxen User

United States
    Unless the design philosophy of this mod is just to be "Co-op New Vegas" I honestly think they should phase out Vanilla Quests. Aside from making these concerns irrelevant, They could eventually be replaced with Quests and Mechanics better suited to a Multiplayer Environment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Nak

The Nak

United States
    I'm likely going to try and work with the other dedicated members of the community to make the game very player-driven. Similar to Star Wars Galaxies was in a lot of ways. Less questing, and more interacting with eachother. Using player merchants over NPC's, taking Player-Made bounties and fetch-like quests, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  10. TheBlastback

TheBlastback User

United States
    I feel like one way to get around it is a simple check of that person's general reputation amounst select groups. So, players with similar NCR fame and ceaser infamy will be paired, and vise versa. Determining these could be as simple as: "Does player A have infamy of ncr between 0-25 and ceaser infamy 26-50? Yes? Pair with player B"
    It wouldn't be perfect, but I feel like players with similar playthoughs will have a better chance of having the same npc's alive and dead. Thoughts?

11. spacejunk

spacejunk User

Czech Republic
    I think some players shoud be able to give quests to other players that woud be cool ..

12. rfg300

rfg300

Patreon Supporter Player The Enclave
    United States
    For a "crash course" on cells, try using mods lol. Damn overloaded cells give me headaches for dayz

13. TheWanderer

TheWanderer

Player
    Denmark
    Technically you already can this, just tell someone you need them get you say "5 assault rifles" or something like that.
    Although that isn't exactly a quest in that sense.