F&A Direction Discussion: January

Discussion in 'Factions & Alliances' started by Jak, Jan 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this thread regarding the faction system.
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jak

Jak Retired Developer

Administrator # Beta Tester
    United Kingdom
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / -26
    Hey F&A!

Introduction
    I feel like we should have a centralised discussion about the current state of factions and the direction its going. Factions is constantly evolving, and having this should help provide feedback to us. If we're doing something wrong, or you think something could change, voice it here!

Every few months (or in times where new discussions should take place) I'll create a version of this thread in order to gain feedback and an understanding of the current state and affairs within F&A.

Concerns and answers
    So to jump into it. I already know about the current internal affairs with Caesars Legion and the surrounding treaties and summit that followed. I'd like to make it clear that I'm in favour of these unions, and I have been closely watching over the recent events with espionage. I've spoken to individuals involved as best as I can about it to resolve some issues, but overall I'm comfortable and happy with factions creating treaties and imposing collaborative punishment on people who break them (similar to the United Nations). I'm hoping this will attract more focus on diplomacy being crucial for faction relations.

With the in-game faction system currently being worked on, we're already addressing that factions must make critical decisions in terms of management to be successful in-game. I'm not going to speak of our planned system as of yet, but factions that are aiming to be large and powerful should either have strong allies or develop a strong following where quality is preferred over quantity. Lazy management will fail in-game, unless you have allies there to have your back to carry you.

Another concern is moderation. Like I've previously said, I'm comfortable with factions having sometimes heated debates and discussions. I don't want our staff to interfere or have influence on major pivotal points in the board's early stages. That being said, I have concerns about some factions taking an authoritative stance on the NV:MP website.

Questions to you
    • What do you guys expect of the F&A sub-forum?
    Would you like this to be a roleplay focused board where OOC context is highlighted different from normal posts? In my past experience with RP communities, OOC manner is always in context of double parenthesis, is this something F&A would like enforced? I see that sometimes people out of character are interacting to people using roleplay personas, and it seems to cause bad communication. We've talked at making tags too (prefixes behind thread names) for declaring roleplay or OOC post contexts.

• Is there anything you need in terms of faction management?
    An individual has brought up adding more faction roles to assign to members. If this is something that faction leaders support as a whole, I will add more rankings. If you have any suggestions to altering the group system, now is the time. as we're integrating a lot of the forum services to the game.

Please be realistic about suggestions though: At this stage minor adjustments and additions are acceptable, but we don't have time to develop even more complex systems on the site.

Please keep replies on-topic and civil.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Lucius

Lucius

Beta Tester
    United States
    Ratings:
    +304 / -3
    I like the idea but trust me faction problems go far past what they seem.

As far as suggestions go for faction management they will definitely help.

3. Jak

Jak Retired Developer

United Kingdom
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / -26
    Explain. Obviously keep confidential information secret, but what problems are you describing?

4. Jack of Hearts

Jack of Hearts

Beta Tester
    Canada
    Ratings:
    +294 / -2
    Oh thank Jak God, you've been keeping track of all this.

YES. We need this badly. While I'm not part of any faction, even I can tell that this can only improve factions as a whole.

I really mean no disrespect to a certain faction's leadership, but quantity over quality simply does not work in the context of factions. Regardless, I eagerly await these future changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Well-Liked User

United States
    Ratings:
    +76 / -9
    its a online faction, not real countries.
    stop treating this like it's a issue jak because it's not. it's just clans/cliques bickering, nothing new.
    you seen it on wow, ventrillo, counter strike.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lucius

Lucius

Beta Tester
    United States
    Ratings:
    +304 / -3
    That would need to be discussed privately first

7. Jak

Jak Retired Developer

United Kingdom
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / -26
    It becomes an issue when certain actions break site rules, and especially when targeted harassment is out of my control.

There are underlying issues that need addressing, this thread is to encourage discussion about what is missing or what us as staff members aren't doing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Red1995

Red1995

Beta Tester
    United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +304 / -7
    In understand your reasoning for not wanting to interfere with faction arguments but when it just becomes a personal fight between just 2 members then it becomes boring and tedious.

Maybe some sort of reminder that all factions should be working together to sanction a group that has broken rules instead of just one person taking it upon themselves to have a one on one argument with one member of the group. In my opinion this only devalues the accusation and doesn't contribute to the discussion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. The Nak

The Nak

Patreon Supporter Forum Dweller Beta Tester
    United States
    Ratings:
    +744 / -21
    Yes, OOC and IC need to be clear cut and separate, I enjoy RP especially in F&A!

Yes, if it's suggested it won't happen enough sadly.

I've tried doing similar things with listing that in the post, but it sometimes is ignored. Having the thread labeled like this would hopefully allow it to be enforced better.

For Faction Management, I feel the minimalist design we have right now works well enough. Me and the Elder operate the Brotherhood and induct new members without needing more admins for the faction. That said if other factions need it, I am not adverse to the idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vegas Oramas

Vegas Oramas

Beta Tester
    Spain
    Ratings:
    +705 / -13
    1. Yes, please.
    2. I don't really have an opinion about that tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blazefire1821

Blazefire1821

Beta Tester
    United States
    Ratings:
    +416 / -64
    I'm interested to see how this will pan out

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Vulpes Inculta

Vulpes Inculta

Beta Tester
    United States
    Ratings:
    +555 / -52
    A distinction between RP and OOC should be enforced! We really don't have anywhere else on the forums that encourages RP! It'd also facilitate communication! I.e. this is what my character thinks, and this is what me personally thinks!

Thanks for showing interest Jak by the way!

And yes, tools for faction management would not hurt. But of course, that can all come later. I'd say all in all we have what is necessary forums-wise to support in-game factions. That said, can't wait to see what's in store insofar as faction management tools ingame :)

13. Jak

Jak Retired Developer

United Kingdom
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / -26
    Thanks for your feedback guys, we're probably going to implement some changes today to the F&A board, along with some rule adjustments. This thread will remain open for any further concerns.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Malefic Maud

Malefic Maud

Beta Tester
    United States
    Ratings:
    +253 / -3
    can someone please tell me where the "edit" information on the group page is? I can only find the rules edit button. Grannies eyes are bad ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Malefic Maud

Malefic Maud

Beta Tester
    United States
    Ratings:
    +253 / -3
    NEVER MIND! sorry. I finally connected the dots with "edit page". I just thought it was going to be like the rules section edit button.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.